2020 was a year of change and challenges. And yet, there is much to celebrate and be grateful for.
Listening Together is a labor of love, a symbol of hope, and has become our life’s work! The Listening Together board, Ahladhini, Uma M, and Uma S is a team of women with a personal connection to the world of deafness, with roots in India, with a strong desire to create systems, build capacity, promote advocacy so that children who are deaf and hard of hearing can achieve their best, irrespective of their geographical location and financial situation. This is the mission that keeps us going.
Here are some highlights from the past year:
- More than 50 families received FREE family-centered intervention and therapy. Ahladhini led an innovative series of sessions of parent counseling and self-care that was deeply appreciated by families.
- More than 50 professionals, in 8 different countries participated in online learning offered in English and Marathi for the first time this year. Many of our participants received generous scholarships to attend our programs.
- Uma S is working with 6 professionals (4 in India) pursuing their Listening and Spoken Language Specialist Certification.
- We worked with two centers in Delhi and Karnataka, providing program consultation and training to the entire staff.
- Through our free webinars focusing on language and literacy development, we connected us with 300+ families and professionals.
- The Stories of Maya and Sid continue to reach children in India and around the world.
- Uma S and Ahladhini were invited to present to teachers, therapists, and other professionals at the AG Bell Global Symposium in June 2020. We also presented at the Coalition for Global Hearing Health conference and were invited to conduct workshops in India and Canda.
The journey continues in 2021. We will be planning and implementing activities within all of our programs that will
- Increase access to information and materials
- Build capacity within children, families, professionals
- Foster leadership to bring about change
We look forward to connecting with you via email, our social media, on zoom, and hopefully in the near future, in person!