The professional enrichment program is for early interventionists, speech-language pathologists, and teachers working with children who are deaf and hard of hearing (DHH).
The purpose of this program is to expand knowledge and develop skills required to teach children who are DHH to listen and speak. A majority of the courses have been/will be approved by the Alexander Graham Bell Academy for Listening and Spoken Language for continuing education credits (LSL CEUs). This program can fulfill continuing education requirements for professionals pursuing Listening and Spoken Language Specialist – Auditory-Verbal Therapist/Educator Certification.
Some features of the courses offered through LSL-PrEP are:
- Courses are offered online via Zoom (www.zoom.us)
- Participants are recommended to use a tablet or computer for the course.
- Courses are offered as 1-3 hour “classes” once a week for 4-10 weeks (might vary across courses)
- Professionals participate in a live (not recorded) lecture delivered by the Listening Together team for every class.
- All participants have to read provided materials before class and complete assignments after class.
- All communication happens via email and dedicated WhatsApp group.
- Class content and assignments are currently offered in English, Hindi, and Marathi. Efforts to make content available in other languages are ongoing.
Introduction to Rehabilitation and Education of Children who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing (10-week online course, approved for 20 hours of LSL CEUs)
- Cohort 1: July – September 2017 offered in collaboration with Samvaad Institute, Bangalore, India. Fourteen professionals and students from India and Sri Lanka successfully completed this course and are eligible for future courses offered through LSL-PrEP. Read testimonials from participants in this cohort here.
- Cohort 2: February-April 2018 (on going)
- Cohort 3: August – October 2018 (tentative dates)
Future Offerings (LSL CEUs pending)
- Listening and Spoken Language Intervention (2-hour class for 8 weeks)
- Family-Centered Intervention – Part 1 & 2 (2-hour class for 16 weeks)
- LSL Intervention in a Multi-Lingual Context (2-hour class for 6 weeks)
- Intervention for Children with Hearing Loss and Additional Disabilities (2-hour class for 4 weeks)
- Intervention for Children who are Implanted after Five (2-hour class for 4 weeks)
- Developing Listening, Language, and Literacy Skills (2-hour class for 8 weeks)
If you are interested in learning more about our courses and enrolling in the current or future offerings please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org